PDF Print E-mail

Tirril

 


 

Tirril Brewery Limited
Red House
Long Marton
Appleby-in-Westmorland
CA16 6BN
Phone    01768 361664
Mobile    077 4349 6900
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

 


May 2012

The brewery has been testing a new brew which is now just about ready.  At 4% ABV it is a light fruity summer ale called Eden Valley Pale Ale.  (EVPA) .  This will be a seasonal brew

October 2011

Brewery still working to capacity. The new Pennine Pilsner, O.G. 1037, A.B.V. 4%, is a top fermented lager flavoured with Czech Saarz hops, served cask conditioned and seems well received. Their brewery Tap at The New Inn, Brampton is closed currently due to management issues, not helped by a poor Appleby Fair.

History


Opened 1999 by brewer, Chris Tomlinson this brewery was originally a 2½ barrel brewplant situated behind the Queen’s Head at Tirril, (now sold to Robinson's) During 2002 the brewery relocated to close-by Brougham Hall for more space, with a five barrel plant, selling the original kit to Loweswater, and in July 2007, moved to a 20 barrel plant at Long Marton, near Appleby, for further explansion.

Regular beers are:
John Bewsher's Best Bitter (OG 1038.5, ABV 3.8%)
A lightly-hopped, golden brown session beer.
Brougham Ale (OG 1039, ABV 3.9%)
A gently hopped, amber bitter.
Charles Gough's Old Faithful (OG 1040, ABV 4%)
Pale gold, aromatic and well hopped.
1823 (OG 1041, ABV 4.1%)
A full-bodied session bitter with a gentle bitterness.
Thomas Slee's Academy Ale (OG 1041.4, ABV 4.2%)
A dark, full-bodied, traditional rich and malty ale.
Red Barn Ale (ABV 4.4%)
A Ruby red bitter

There are other seasonal and occasional beers such as Amber's 4.2%, Balls Up! 3.9%, and the classic winter warmer, Graduate 4.6%


In October 2010, Paul from Dent Brewery moved to join the Tirril team




More about Tirril....

If you take the A6 south from the A66 at Penrith and then turn towards Pooley Bridge you will come to Tirril and the Queen's Head Inn: the original location of the Tirril brewery, now a Robinson's pub without a brewery.
It was set up in 1999 in the Queen's Head, exactly one century since the last Tirril brewery (J Siddle's) closed in September 1899, after being bought out by Glasson's of Penrith. Glasson's was subsequently bought out by Matthew Brown's, which as we all know was then taken over and closed down by Scottish & Newcastle.

There had also been a brewery at the Queen's Head so it was fitting that in 1999 Chris Tomlinson the owner and licensee decided to brew in the pub instead of buying in ScotCo beers. Second hand equipment was squeezed into what had been a toilet area, and Chris took brewing advice from John Lloyd at Barngates and Martin Stafford at Dent Brewery. The first beer was a single best bitter (John Bewsher's Best). The small brewing capacity of 2 barrels per week meant that there has been little beer to spare after keeping the pub and beer festivals supplied (on one occasion the pub ran out of Charles Gough's Old Faithful because Chris had supplied a cask to CAMRA's Great British Beer Festival). As it was not possible to expand within the pub, a listed building, Chris started to search for suitable premises – not an easy task during 2001 in an area which saw one of the first Foot and Mouth outbreaks in Cumbria.

Two miles away off the A6 the ruined Brougham Castle, founded by Hugh de Morville around 1160, stands on the site of a Roman station, Brovacum; the Hall was built in the castle grounds in early Victorian times. By accident or serendipity Chris's mother went along to ask about some converted outbuildings; it so happened that the charitable trust which is restoring Brougham Hall was looking for crafts that were previously practised there. It is the largest such project in the country.

A section of the Hall was rebuilt to house a new ten barrel brewplant and fermenting room. By amazing coincidence, later inspection of the drawings by Gothic renaissance architect Cottingham showed that the rooms were the original 1823 brewery and bakery. A corner of the brewing room retained the original fireplace and section of the water boiler. The brewery was accessed by a stone bridge – possibly making it unique.

The original plant was sold to the Loweswater brewery and brewing continued at Brougham for several years then, with demand continuing to increase, Chris sold the Queens Head, purchased the New Inn at Brampton and in 2007 relocated the brewing operation to a converted barn at the rear of his home in Long Marton. Again new and yet larger capacity plant was installed, with that at Brougham being sold to the Whitehaven brewery

The original beers were named with Tirril connections: John Bewsher was the Licensee of the Queens Head some one hundred and seventy five years ago; Charles Gough was unfortunate enough to have been blown off Striding Edge on Helvellyn two hundred years ago. It is reputed that his faithful dog stayed beside his body for nearly three months before being found still alive. Mr Gough's remains, identified by the initials in his hat band, are buried in the village; Thomas Slee was the Principal of a well known local Mathematical Academy in the early 1800s. A date stone of 1823 at Brougham provided a further name.

Distribution tends to be confined to some 50 outlets in Cumbria and North Lancashire plus a few beer festivals most deliveries being made directly from the brewery.

Compiled from information by Ros Berry and Alan Risdon

 

Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 May 2012 15:39